These are the basics to bring for yourself. Any extra you can bring to share is wonderful!
During the Day:
- Sweatshirt, coat, umbrella, ponchos. Watch the weather channel, be prepared.
- Signs CANNOT have sticks on them! I have also seen people get in trouble
- for using signs made out of hard material. They are not illegal but they WILL be taken by the cops. So cardboard or large sheets
- of sturdy paper are a better bet. Be creative.
- Bring fun! Bring games, bring cards, bring books, paper, coloring supplies, instruments, boomboxes, anything.
- Sunscreen. Even if it’s cloudy, you can get burnt.
- Food and water. Waterbottles are preferable to bottled water.
- Candles. Even if you aren’t staying overnight, if you are staying through dark, we will be holding a Candlelight Vigil for Troy Davis on the first Friday.
- A Tent - if you want. The NYPD have been dragging peaceful protesters out of tents, so be warned. However, Chicago does NOT have a tent law, and NYC does.
- Sleeping bag, blanket, pillow. A tarp to keep off rain. - Tarps are also being confiscated by some police in NY, so an alternative is to bring garbage bags.
- Bug repellent.
- ‘Portable showers’ By diluting lots of soap in lots of water, you can make an all purpose body wash that you won’t need to rinse off. Test it at home, you should be able to scrub with one washcloth, dry with another, and have no soapy residue.
- Baby wipes are magic and also work wonders.
- A towel. Always bring your towel! Use it in case it rains, you spill something on yourself, to wash with, to sit on the grass in.